Achieving a flawless face might be an impossible thing to do especially to those people who once experienced acne and rashes.
These skin conditions leave traces which might be a difficult thing to remove and may even last forever especially if you don’t know how to treat these things.
So how does a person with terrible acne scars get a chance to have clear or better yet, flawless skin and bring back the confidence in oneself?
Take a look at these 15 home chemical peels for acne scars and choose one that will best help you treat your acne scars and other skin conditions!
- Our Top Picks of Best Home Chemical Peels
- #1 GLYTONE Rejuvenating Mini Peel Gel, 2 oz
- #2 Exuviance Performance Peel AP25
- #3 The Ordinary Peeling Solution 30ml AHA 30% + BHA 2%
- #4 Perfect Image Glycolic Acid 50% Gel Peel
- #5 Paula’s Choice-SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Gel Salicylic Acid Exfoliant
- #6 TCA 25% Peel Enhanced with 5% Salicylic Acid – With USDA Certified Organic Extracts, Chemical Peel solution
- #7 Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Ultra Gentle Daily Peel, 30 Count
- #8 iS CLINICAL Pro-Heal Serum Advance+, 1 Fl Oz
- #9 Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform Peel,1 oz
- #10 VI PEEL
- #11 Eminence Clear Skin Willow Bark Exfoliating Peel
- #12 JESSNER’S (JESSNER Peel) by True Radiance Chemical Peel
- #13 QrxLabs Glycolic Acid 30% Gel Peel with Chamomile and Green Tea Extracts
- #14 Planet Eden 88% Lactic Acid Chemical Skin Peel
- #15 Babyface Professional 40% Lactic Acid Chemical Peel, Unbuffered, Low pH
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Picks of Best Home Chemical Peels
#1 GLYTONE Rejuvenating Mini Peel Gel, 2 oz
This is the chemical peel you want!
It is a rejuvenating peel containing 10.8 PFAV Glycolic Acid which helps you exfoliate and rejuvenate your skin.
The chemical found in this product will be the one to penetrate into your skin pores and will encourage the release of dead skin cells thus improving your skin appearance.
It is formulated for all kinds of skin types and will not cause any irritation.
Just apply a thin layer onto a cleansed face and neck and after 10 minutes, neutralize it with warm water splashes.
Apply 2-3 times per week or as directed by a physician.
- Feels gentle and refreshing on the skin
- May only help in reducing minor scars and reduce redness associated with acne
- Caution must be observed especially for those with sensitive skin
#2 Exuviance Performance Peel AP25
This high-performance at-home peel refines pore size and gives smooth texture to your skin.
It has the capability of visibly diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles to reveal fresher, healthier skin.
The facial pads are infused with glycolic, mandelic, and polyhydroxy acids to exfoliate dead skin cells which can also be applied over the backs of the hands, neck, chest, and body.
- Provides an all-over healthy glow, suppleness, and smoothness to the skin
- Brightens and even skin tone
- Too pricey for an application’s worth
#3 The Ordinary Peeling Solution 30ml AHA 30% + BHA 2%
This crowd-favorite peel contains a mix of glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acids.
These acids unclog pores, exfoliates the skin, and encourages an overall healthier and brighter looking skin.
It helps fight visible blemishes for improved radiance and with its Tasmanian pepperberry into the formula, you will not have to worry about irritation at all.
It further has vitamin B5 to assist healing, as well as, black carrot as an antioxidant.
- It definitely leaves your skin looking clear, smooth, and bright
- Great peel texture
- Caution must be observed when applying a certain amount of the peel
#4 Perfect Image Glycolic Acid 50% Gel Peel
A peel designed to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, uneven skin texture, and other sure signs of aging.
The formula in this peel penetrates into the epidermal and dermal layers of your skin and removes dead skin cells while minimizing the appearance of pores.
It also increases your skin’s absorption rate promoting a rejuvenated and skin tone appearance.
It has green tea and chamomile extract providing a synergistic antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial benefit to your skin.
Moreover, it has a cucumber extract which is a natural antioxidant rich in vitamins, minerals, and enzymes which provides added anti-inflammatory and skin tightening benefits.
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and phthalate-free
- Cruelty-free (no animal testing on products or ingredients)
- Made from recycled and sustainable raw materials and practices
- Makes your skin refined and helps in getting rid of blemishes caused by acne scars and rashes
- Can easily irritate sensitive skin and cause redness
- May cause dryness
#5 Paula’s Choice-SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Gel Salicylic Acid Exfoliant
This is a non-abrasive leave-on gel exfoliant that can remove layers of dull skin, shrink clogged pores, diminish the appearance of wrinkles and scars, and improve your skin tone.
This gel exfoliant has a water-light formula that is gentle on the skin with a pH range of 3.2-3.8 that can give an immediate and dramatic improvement to your skin’s appearance and feel.
It also provides long-lasting hydration for healthier-looking skin.
- The gel exfoliant is a breakaway of the normal chemical peels in the market
- Gentle on skin
- Comes with a convenient pump package
- May cause breakouts if used without professional supervision especially for those with sensitive skin
#6 TCA 25% Peel Enhanced with 5% Salicylic Acid – With USDA Certified Organic Extracts, Chemical Peel solution
This well-known type of chemical acid which has long been used by Dermatologists is guaranteed to improve the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers.
This peel will help you remove layers in hyperpigmented areas of your skin while deeply cleaning clogged pores.
It can also be used to help lighten and remove medium to deep scars while minimizing the size of your pores.
This peel is further enhanced with salicylic acid at 5% and USDA certified organic extracts.
- Perfect for people needing deeper peeling session
- Can lighten darkened spots on the face
- Perfect for people who have severe acne scarring
- Quite strong compared to other chemical peels
- Must need a professional’s advice before use
- Not advised for people that are allergic to high concentrations of Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA)
#7 Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Ultra Gentle Daily Peel, 30 Count
This is a fast-acting, two-step daily treatment that can easily be used at home.
Step 1 contains rejuvenating, powerful yet gentle exfoliating acids while Step 2 controls alpha hydroxy acid activity delivering anti-aging actives.
It also has calming and hydrating ingredients comforts and protects delicate skin.
The daily use of this chemical peel produces powerful results as to your appearance as it reduces fine lines and wrinkles, minimize pores, and enhance radiance to your skin.
This chemical peel is ideal for sensitive and fragile skin types.
- Revives your skin without irritation
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and phthalate-free
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Daily use of the pads may prove to be costly
#8 iS CLINICAL Pro-Heal Serum Advance+, 1 Fl Oz
This serum contains Vitamin C, Olive Leaf Extract, Vitamin E, and Retinol (Vitamin A) containing excellent antioxidant and healing properties.
It helps in improving the appearance of blemish-prone skin and also helps in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
It can also revitalize the appearance of aging and compromised skin.
Moreover, it can even be used on insect bites to help soothe and provide the necessary inflammation relief.
- Can help contain acne breakouts
- Heals irritation and redness
- It has olive leaf extract that can help nurture and provide support for blemish-prone and compromised skin
- Not budget-friendly
#9 Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform Peel,1 oz
This go-to serum contains 2.2% of retinol providing multiple anti-aging benefits without the dryness and irritation.
It also boosts collagen production and improves cell turnover to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dullness, blemishes, and acne scars.
This serum also contains 2% lactic acid which helps in brightening and smoothening your skin. It is an essential treatment for glowing, youthful-looking skin.
- Gently exfoliates to give you a smoother and brighter skin
- Formulated without parabens, phthalates, sulfates, gluten, and oils
- Not tested on animals
- Not recommended to be used on pregnant or nursing women
- Cannot be used near or around the eyes
#10 VI PEEL
This is a non-invasive approach to achieve healthier and younger-looking skin.
In just 7 days, VI peel can make the difference targeting sun damage, fine lines, mild wrinkles, melasma and most especially, acne.
This chemical peel is safe for all skin types and ethnicities. It is safe in such a way that it is the only peel that can be used on the eye area, neck, chest, and hands.
It contains Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) which smoothens deep acne scars and stimulates collagen growth.
VI PEEL also contains Retin-A that can soften fine lines and moderates wrinkles. Moreover, it also has salicylic acid that exfoliates the tissues and acts as an inflammatory agent.
- Remains true in smoothening deep acne scars
- Safe on all skin types
- Not budget-friendly
#11 Eminence Clear Skin Willow Bark Exfoliating Peel
This deep-cleansing peel solution clarifies and refines complexion without irritation.
It contains gentle salicylic acid removing surface impurities and dirt from the skin allowing the synergistic action of biosulphur and tomato extract to balance sebum.
It also has willow barks calming the look of skin together with lilac and azaleic acid to reduce the redness and inflammation.
Simply use the included natural cotton rounds to apply the peel without disrupting your skin.
- Perfect for acne and breakout-prone skin
- Smells good
- Brightens and smoothens skin
- A bit pricey as compared to other chemical peels
- Not safe to be applied to the eye area
#12 JESSNER’S (JESSNER Peel) by True Radiance Chemical Peel
This chemical peel is a versatile tool as it helps not only in exfoliating your skin but also helps in treating sun-damaged areas on your face.
It is a light to medium peel suitable for all skin types especially those with oily or acne-prone skin.
As with all chemical peel products, a patch test is recommended just to see how your skin reacts.
- Minimizes age spots, sun spots, and hyperpigmentation
- Reduces pores and acne
- For darker skin tones, a small risk of post-peel hypopigmentation will be experienced
#13 QrxLabs Glycolic Acid 30% Gel Peel with Chamomile and Green Tea Extracts
This alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) peel stimulates collagen production, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and hyperpigmentation.
It is designed as a light gel in order to prevent the product from trickling down your face or dripping into your eyes or mouth.
It has green tea and chamomile extracts which effective antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory ingredients promoting a clear healthy, younger-looking skin.
- Deep cleans pores
- Evens out skin tone
- Reduce active acne and acne marks
- The texture of the peel is not refined
#14 Planet Eden 88% Lactic Acid Chemical Skin Peel
This chemical peel features a lactic acid of pH of 1.2 and strong AHA acid to give your skin a more radiant and youthful glow.
The lactic acid of this peel evens out skin tone and removes dead skin while stimulating collagen production.
This skin peel works like magic on the skin and is very beneficial for curing acne and pimples of your face. It even deeply cleanses your pores.
- Great for first-time peel users who have sensitive skin
- Improves the hydration and suppleness of your skin
- Provides anti-inflammatory protection and refines skin texture
- Comes with a fan brush for application
- Need for strict observance of direction to avoid burning skin
#15 Babyface Professional 40% Lactic Acid Chemical Peel, Unbuffered, Low pH
This lactic acid peel is excellent for sensitive, aging, and hyperpigmented skin. It is great in exfoliating the surface of the skin while deeply cleansing your pores.
Babyface Professional 40% Lactic Acid Chemical Peel stimulates natural collagen production evening out your skin tone and fades dark spots. It can brighten and lighten the skin and improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
The lactic acid in this peel can help in improving the acne situation and dry up oily skin. It also removes dead skin cells, toxins, and debris.
- Diminishes acne scars
- Considered as a medium strength peel and perfect for first-time peel users
- 40% concentrated, not diluted
- Easy to use packaging
- Slight irritation and redness may occur
- Follow instructions carefully
Frequently Asked Questions
What do chemical peels do?
Chemical peels use acid that will penetrate through the layers of your skin to diminish the fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone on your face. The most celebrated thing it can do is to diminish acne scars.
As a result, it promotes the growth of a healthy new skin layer and dissolves outer layers of dead skin.
What products or procedure should one avoid before a chemical peel?
A week before the scheduled at-home peel, you should avoid waxing and laser hair removal. It is also advised that two to three days before the peel, discontinue any use of prescription topicals containing retinol, alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA) and beta hydroxyl acids (BHA).
At best, it might be necessary to consult a physician or your dermatologist regarding the chemical peel you will be doing so that you get to avoid any skin conditions after the peel.
When will my skin start to peel and for how long?
Depending on the chemical peel you are using and its strength, the peeling may start within 48-72 hours after its application.
During the peeling process, redness may occur but it will subside in an hour or two.
The peeling may last from seven to ten days still depending upon the strength of the chemical peel you used.
There might be side effects you did not expect along the way such as infection, scarring, or skin damage and in case you experience these things, stop the use of the chemical peel and call your doctor or dermatologist immediately.
How do I care for my skin after peeling?
After application of the chemical peel on the face and for the next 24 hours, make sure you avoid using prescription tretinoins, AHA, BHA, low pH serums, and all other chemical exfoliates.
This is to avoid skin complications or worse skin damage. Instead, use a bland and simple skincare routine after a chemical peel session. You can also use skin moisturizers as it can help in healing your skin.
Another skincare product you can use after doing an at-home peel is applying Vaseline onto the skin to prevent transepidermal water loss to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
Also, it is advised that after doing a chemical peel, you should stay home but if not avoided and you have to go outside under the heat of the sun you should wear sunscreen to avoid any complications.
Among the top 15 at-home chemical peels presented above, choose the one that suits your skin.
All you have to do is study the chemical peel of your liking and take into consideration the sensitivity of your skin, as well as, the strength of the chemical peel you are choosing.
It is also important what aftercare it recommends so that you will not have to be hassled with any skin complications.
Considering also the fact that chemical peels are not a ‘one size fits all’ treatment, it is best that you check the ingredients it contains or better yet, consult your dermatologist with the chemical at-home peel of your choice before conducting an at-home peel session.
Make sure that you consider all the factors in choosing the right chemical peel for you and not simply being fixated with the price of the chemical peel.
Have fun and peel your way to healthy and beautiful looking skin!